The United States of America is very rich in water bodies and fish. Tourists can always count on sea or ocean fishing because you can fish in different natural areas, but always within the requirements of local legislation.
Fishing in the United States is a pleasure that requires a fishing license. Attempting to fish without permits, in the event of a collision with the inspector supervising the waters, can lead to a large fine in the best case, and to imprisonment in the worst case.
Each state has its own laws and types of licenses for fishing, so first, you have to learn all the nuances of the place chosen for fishing. But the general rules allow you to get license to fish for a year, a week or just one day.
Walmart fishing license hours 2022
A license to fish can easily be obtained anywhere in the country, as long as you meet certain requirements. But Walmart remains one of the most popular locations for purchasing a fishing license. The biggest plus is that you can obtain a Walmart fishing license at any time of Walmart regular working hours. Since Walmart fishing license hours can vary by state, be sure to check with your nearest store first using our very own Fishing License Locator.
What is the cost of Walmart fishing license in 2022?
There is not a fixed price for a fishing license in Walmart as it usually depends on various factors: your age, resident status, a period of the license validity, a range of fish species, and others.
But here are the main price indications for purchasing a Walmart fishing license:
- A resident will have to pay approximately $19 for a license to fish in his/her home state. This fee is meant mainly for people of age between 16 and 65
- A 24-hour fishing license will cost about $11 irrespective of your residential status
- The cost of an annual Walmart fishing license is roughly $40. But be sure to check the regulations of the state you are going to fish in. In order to be allowed to catch some fish species, you need to pay an extra fee.
- A 3-days fishing permission for tourists has a price of 19 USD.
Each state has its own procedure for issuing fishing licenses in the US. So every Walmart store will sell fishing permits only for the state where it is located. A final fishing license price at Walmart will match the price indicated in the Fishing guide of a relevant state. Generally, you will find a number of options including resident, non-resident, combos, saltwater and freshwater, duration. For each option, there will be a different fee. So the price will be changing depending on your choice.
The expiring date of annual fishing licenses is different in each state regardless of the date of purchase. Check our Walmart fishing license cost by state guide here.
Documents required for purchasing a fishing license.
When buying a fishing license, you need to be ready to provide certain documents which would confirm your identity and residential status.
You may submit the following:
- A valid ID card
- A driving license
- An official document proving you are residing in the state.
Non-residents can also buy a fishing license in any state but they will have to pay a bit higher price.
The ways to obtain Walmart fishing license
- Online. This is one of the fastest and most convenient ways to get a fishing license. You just need to order it online providing your identifying documents, then pay for it by a bank card and just print it out. Read more about how to obtain a Walmart fishing license online.
- By phone. Some states offer the possibility to order a fishing license by phone. You have to provide your personal information and details of your bank card.
- In person. An easy way to purchase your fishing license while shopping at any Walmart store. But be ready to prove your identity and residency.
- By mail. In case you are not able to buy a fishing license in any of the above-listed ways, you are still able to apply for it by mail.
In order to keep our waterways clean, I suggest purchasing a fishing license holder. It comes with a lanyard so you can keep it around your neck for safekeeping. My favorite fishing license holder is found below:
Walmart Fishing License FAQ
- What is the best time to get a fishing license at Walmart? Fortunately, there are not set times to obtain a fishing license at Walmart. Walmart fishing license hours are exactly the same as normal Walmart store opening and closing hours.
- How much is a fishing license at Walmart? Walmart fishing license cost will vary by state. You can view our comprehensive guide for Walmart fishing license price by state here.
- Can I obtain a Walmart fishing license online? Yes, you can now obtain obtain a Walmart fishing license online. Previously, you had to go to your nearest Walmart store. You still can, but since the COVID-19 pandemic hit, they now issue a Walmart fishing license online. To obtain a license online, simply log on to the Walmart site and be ready with your documents listed below.
- What documents are required to obtain a fishing license at Walmart? You can bring one of the following: Drivers license, Passport, or State ID card. Just have one of these and you can successfully purchase your Walmart fishing license online or in person 🙂
- Does Walmart sell a saltwater fishing license and freshwater fishing license? Yes all types. You can obtain both a saltwater and freshwater fishing license at Walmart.
- Where can I get a fishing license? Walmart – Also local and state fishing/outdoor stores or state fishing and wildlife departments.
- What are Walmart fishing license hours? You can obtain a Walmart fishing license at any time of Walmart regular working hours.
- Do I need a separate ice fishing license? No – a Walmart fishing license will also apply as an ice fishing license.
- What states will sell a Walmart fishing license? A Walmart fishing license is available to buy in almost all states. Since there are some exceptions, you can refer to the list of states below where a Walmart fishing license is available for retail sale.
- Alabama – AL
- Alaska – AK
- Arkansas – AR
- Arizona – AZ
- California – CA
- Colorado – CO
- Connecticut – CT
- Delaware – DE
- Florida – FL
- Georgia – GA
- Hawaii – HI
- Idaho – ID
- Illinois – IL
- Indiana – IN
- Iowa – IA
- Kansas – KS
- Kentucky – KY
- Louisiana – LA
- Maine – ME
- Maryland – MD
- Massachusetts – MA
- Michigan – MI
- Minnesota – MN
- Mississippi – MS
- Missouri – MO
- Montana – MT
- Nebraska – NE
- Nevada – NV
- New Hampshire – NH
- New Jersey – NJ
- New Mexico – NM
- New York – NY
- North Carolina – NC
- North Dakota – ND
- Ohio – OH
- Oklahoma – OK
- Oregon – OR
- Pennsylvania – PA
- Rhode Island – RI
- South Carolina – SC
- South Dakota – SD
- Tennessee – TN
- Texas – TX
- Utah – UT
- Vermont – VT
- Virginia – VA
- Washington – WA
- West Virginia – WV
- Wisconsin – WI
- Wyoming – WY